In 1954, Reinhard Straumann founded the Dr. Ing. R. Straumann Research Institute AG. Until 1970, the company specialized in materials testing and alloys for timing instruments. Four years later, Straumann presented its first dental implants, including the world’s first one-stage implant.
By 1990, Straumann was a leading manufacturer of osteosynthesis implants. A management buyout of the osteosynthesis division in 1990 – leading to the creation of a separate company now known as Synthes – marked the beginning of Straumann as it is known today.
In 1998, Straumann Holding AG became publicly traded on the Swiss Exchange. The year 2000 saw the opening of the production site in Villeret and the Technology Center in Waldenburg. In 2004 Straumann moved to its new global headquarters in Basel.
1 Straumann® SLActive Scientific Evidence, Fifth Edition, 2010.
2 Scacchi M. et al, The development of the ITI DENTAL IMPLANT SYSTEM. Part 2: 1998-2000: Steps into the next millennium. Clin Oral Implants Res 2000; 11:22-32
iTero™ is a trademark of Cadent Ltd., Israel.
DWOS® is a registered trademark of Dental Wings Inc., Canada.